Follow Us Facebook Fan Page Twitter Page Full RSS Feed ......
At the age of ten life seems simple, it's all about running jumping and climbing trees. By eighteen you have discovered the opposite sex, alcohol and nightclubs. By twenty five you are your own person, confident and full of life. Suddenly you hit thirty. You find yourself questioning your choices from the years that have past, feeling slightly left on the shelf, wondering where your life is heading, juggling family and friends and faced with ever aging parents. You are not alone, welcome to 30 years and countinga sideways look at life in your thirties.

I have a heavy skeleton, it's glandular. Fuck off.

A few weeks ago I wrote in a post called Weddings, weddings, weddings. A man's view of the big day about how I had woke up suddenly from a dream and still half asleep I had a wonderful idea for a blog post. However I then promptly rolled back over and slept for another hour or so before waking up again and having no clue what that great idea was. Well it came back to me out of the blue. So what was this hot burning topic? The answer my friends is the subject of being fat.

I guess from the off I should say that I am overweight myself. Admittedly not by much but I’m far from a six pack and more like a keg. Like many people my weight has yo-yoed during my life. I was a very skinny child until about the age of ten when I ballooned to look like a stuffed hamster. Following a school play a year later (it is amazing what six weeks of sing and dancing will do for you) I lost it all again and kept it all off until I went to university. Unsurprisingly a diet of daily drinking and fast food had it’s effects and my weight shot back up again. This time it stayed on until I was faced with what could be considered the ultimate diet, a broken heart. Since then my weight has stayed about the same until recently when I have made a effort to eat better and get out and do some walking each night.

Talking about your weight is a bit of a no go area for us guys. For women the subject of their weight is forced into their face through just about every corner of the media but for us lads there are two camps. Either you are an exercise health nut or a proud beer gut carrying slob. There is very little middle ground.

The question of how the media presents the subject of weight and health is whole other issue but I must admit that a lot of fat people piss me off. There seems to be an increased attitude of “it’s not my fault” and the ever increasing trend to turn to quick fix fad diets rather than common sense.

Like I said I am overweight myself so when I say fat people I mean the ones who say stuff like "it's glandular" or "I have tried all the diets but it won't come off" or "I have a heavy skeleton". Why am I overweight? Because I eat to much crap and don't exercise enough. Sure there are some people with medical conditions which cause weight gain but for 99.99% of us it comes down to eating too much junk food and not getting up off the couch enough. You don't need to go on some sort of cow testicle diet you just need to eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly, it really is that simple.

I once watched a show on TV about a year ago about a teenage girl who had her stomach stapled at seventeen. She said that she had tried everything, that the diets just didn't work for her and no matter how much or how hard she exercised the weight just wouldn''t come off. It just wasn't her fault. it was a medical problem. So she had her stomach stapled at the cost the tax payer on the NHS. Do you know what she had for dinner that night when she got home from the hospital? A liquidised KFC family bucket and whole tub of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. "It's glandular!". Fuck off. 

Most popular posts this month

Most popular posts of all time

Want to write for us?

Do you like our site? Have you got something to say? If you are approaching or in your thirties and would like to write a piece for us then we would love to here from you.