Follow Us Facebook Fan Page Twitter Page Full RSS Feed ......
At the age of ten life seems simple, it's all about running jumping and climbing trees. By eighteen you have discovered the opposite sex, alcohol and nightclubs. By twenty five you are your own person, confident and full of life. Suddenly you hit thirty. You find yourself questioning your choices from the years that have past, feeling slightly left on the shelf, wondering where your life is heading, juggling family and friends and faced with ever aging parents. You are not alone, welcome to 30 years and countinga sideways look at life in your thirties.

Maz's birthday bowls us over

Well I promised a post a week and look here I am. Okay so I am cutting it a bit close to the end of the week but nonetheless here at least is the post I promised. I would have written it earlier today but to be honest I was nursing a hangover and then stuffing myself with a venison burger. Why the hangover? Because this weekend we headed out on the town to celebrate Maz’s birthday as she creeps ever close to the big 30.

Maz’s birthday is always a difficult thing. You see it falls just after Christmas which makes it tricky for a number of reasons. Firstly I have usually exhausted all my good ideas for presents for her at Christmas which means come her birthday I am left frantically searching for inspiration as to what to get her. Hmmmm Modern Warfare 3 maybe? The second problem we often face is what exactly to do for her birthday. Most people are still broke from Christmas and have no money to go partying. Add to this the fact that come January we are usually under a foot of snow so no one can actually get out of the house either and it all adds up to an epic fail for the last few years.

This year was looking pretty much the same. Since the summer of last year Maz has had a pretty good idea of what she wanted to do to celebrate this yearly milestone. Come the good weather on a weekend Maz and I like to get out the house and go somewhere. Anywhere will do really. We take our cameras, go for a walk and just enjoy being out of the house. One of the most common places we go is Whitstable. For those who don’t know where or what Whitstable is it is a small seaside town about half an hour from where we live. You can park along the sea front, walk into the town via the fish market where it is law that you must stop and eat the famous Whitstable oysters and then finally you can pop into the wonderful variety of small local shops they have before turning around and coming back again. It really is a very pleasant afternoon out.

One of the many shops they have in Whitstable is a cheese shop. Now I am not talking your boring cheddar here. This place servers up cheese straight from the gods. You can taste the many different types they have and the staff are always friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming. In fact I don’t often do this but what the hell, they are so good go and check out there website (wow a free plug that is rare). One of the many things the cheese shop does is that you can hire it out for parties. This then was the plan for Maz’s birthday. That is until she finally got around to sorting it out and found out much to her dismay that they have stopped doing private functions on a Saturday due to the fact that they are too busy. Hence it was back to square one and things were looking like they would follow in the footsteps of the last few years.

Suddenly out of the blue Maz hit upon the idea of going bowling and through the magic of Facebook events within a week it was sorted. Saturday was the day of choice and so come 5pm we found ourselves in a pub waiting to see who would turn up. And would you believe it, lots of people did. There was Maz and me of course, Tom, Louise, Julie, Arthur, Mark, Gulsah, Lou, Paul, Chris, Hayley and her new guy Gary (who thought it was funny to keep calling me flash, it was not). Not a bad turn out at all.

I can’t actually remember the last time I went bowling. Hmmmmmm….nope I have no idea. That is unless you count the Wii or Xbox versions where you throw a virtual ball across your front room. It is a good thing then that I am not very competitive as I lost terribly although I am blaming that on the fact I had drunk a lot and was popping upstairs with Arthur every five minutes to down shots of Sambuca.

Don’t worry though I counter balanced it with a late night run to McDonalds so that was alright. The same can’t be said for Arthur who by the time we made it back to the pub again was ready to fall asleep where he sat. In fact he pretty much did. A few more drinks and then it was time to call it a night.

Maz’s birthday then was a great success and for the first time in years we pulled it off with no major problems. The only issue is that mine is next on the list in a few weeks which means I need to get my thinking cap on and come up with a plan. I’m thinking a curry in a local restaurant but if you have any better ideas then I am all ears…

Most popular posts this month

Most popular posts of all time

Want to write for us?

Do you like our site? Have you got something to say? If you are approaching or in your thirties and would like to write a piece for us then we would love to here from you.